Sunday, May 27, 2012

Book Review: Stardust


Stardust is a book by Neil Gaiman that was written a few years back, and was popular enough to spawn a movie. Having watched the movie (and heartily enjoyed it), I decided I'd eventually give the book a go-through. Well, I finally got to do that, and I must say, I was impressed. Here's my basic run-down:

The Good

  • The way everything came together at the end. While the story doesn't appear to have much of a plot at the beginning the end had a nice way of drawing it all together and making it make sense. I appreciate stories that do that.
  • Neil Gaiman's sense of humor. He's a Brit, nuff said.
  • The ending itself. It felt like a real fairy-tale, bitter and sweet all at the same time. I don't think I'll be getting the image of the Star standing on top of the tower out of my head anytime soon. Its very haunting. 
The Bad
  • The sex scenes were... unnecessary. 
Ultimately, the book was extremely good, and quite worth the time spent reading it. I'd recommend it to anyone of an older audience because, even without the sex scenes, the book is a bit more mature and would need someone with a little bit of real-world experience to understand it. Now I'm not saying that I have the prerequisite experience, but I know for a fact that I wouldn't have liked the book nearly as much, say, at the time it came out. Something about the ending is truly haunting in a way I don't think I'd have understood before 22.


No comments:

Post a Comment